Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Ups and Downs of Oldies (But mostly ups)

Shave and a haircut, two bits!

Or, from Paladin (which, in case you don't remember from an older post of mine, is an old Western show.) "Would you like a shave and a hircut? It's only two bits!"

Alas, Oldies, how I love thee! Thy simple beauty and innocent ways encapture mine heart. I art thine, forever!

Did you like my Shakespearian English? No? Understandable. What? You did? Fantastic! It's good to be appreciated.

But seriously, oldies are the best! No swearing and very, very little sexual referance, if any. And most references are only vaugely implied. Not into black and white? I get it. I suppose it can be a little bland, sometimes, but for the most part I think it's AWESOME! :D Plus, not all old movies are in black and white! Many are colored by TECHNICOLOR! I don't know what it is, but it makes it colorful. Like White Christmas, and the Court Jester, both starring (or co-starring) Danny Kaye, an amazing actor who always gets the funny lines. :D <3 Such as;

"My dear partner! When what's let of you gets around to getting what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left!" --White Christmas.

Or;

. . .Well, the whole Court Jester movie is pretty funny. Just ask Sunny!




Ooo! And, in case any oldies fans out there know who this is, Basil Rathbone also plays in the Court Jester. For those of you who don't know, he played Sherlock Holmes in several old movies. I LOVE THOSE MOVIES!!!!! They are so EPIC!! This is my all-time favorite line in the Sherlock Holmes movies (the old ones, that is). But it needs some background, or you won't understand it.

Setting; a shooting gallery at a carnival. Metal sheets with evil people painted on them go around in circles, and contestants try to hit where the heart of these people would be (gruesome, yes.), but is actually a gong. So, hit the "heart," hear the gong.

Oh-oh: the bad guys caught Sherlock Holmes, bound and gagged him, and tied him behind one of the metal sheets, taking out the gong. So, hit "heart," kill Sherlock!

I'll save you the stress of watching several close calls in which Watson, oblivious, almost kills Sherlock three times, and just tell you; he escapes. Ahh, now we can relax.

Sherlock shows up and instructs Inspector Lestraude to apprehend the villans, which he does.

Watson, "I say, Holmes, where were you?"

Sherlock, "I was going 'round and 'round in circles."

Watson, "Circles?"

Sherlock, "Yes, but my heart wasn't in it."

LOL!! I realize that might not strike you as funny, but it's more a "you had to see it" thing. Plus, I just <3 the characters, so that helps. :P :D

ANYWHO. Yes, oldies are awesome, the cornerstone of civilization, the supporting structure for every other movie today. And don't try to deny it!!

Now if you'll pardon me. . . . I HAVE TO GO SPAZ ABOUT SHERLOCK HOLMES TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR!!!!! So, y'know. . . . . . bye.


3 comments:

  1. Wow lol:P The Court Jester was fun-nay!

    The craziest thing happened with this post. I glanced at my Dashboard and saw that no one had posted on SHHB since the 4th, and then I went to look at another blog and realized that Kota had blogged while I was looking at the other blog! Hahahaha!
    Ok well that was a lot more funny in my head.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destiny Diddlesworth09 July, 2011

    COURE JESUS...! lol @Kota..

    and I always spazz about the funniness of; "Would you like a shave and a haircut? It's only 2 bits!" XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basil Rathbone is one of the best Sherlock Holmes ever :)

    Nice to meet another Sherlockian!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...